Many clinics have started operating after a long time due to the COVID-19 crisis since March 20, 2020. Now that many skins, cosmetic and hair clinics have opened, let us see what precautions hair transplant clinics are taking during Covid-19.
As per government guidelines, clinics had stopped all hair transplant procedures during the lockdown period as elective surgeries all over the world had been stopped in this period. Now since the government has allowed elective surgical procedure, clinics have also started doing hair transplant procedures.
Hair transplant is a very time-consuming procedure and requires your patience as well as of the surgical team. Each step in a hair transplant surgery is performed very meticulously, whether it is slit making, graft extraction, graft preservation, or even implantation. These things have to be done with exceptional care during Corona era.
The safety of the patient and staff should be of paramount importance at any clinic. So, clinics have decided on unique protocols for performing hair transplant surgery during COVID-19.
To avoid any transmission of COVID -19 from you to surgical staff or surgical staff to you. Clinics have set special protocols and precautions to follow during a hair transplant surgery:
- Thorough fumigation of operation theatre and lobby.
- There are HEPA filters in the operation theatre to filter out the air in the operation theatre, which keeps the air clean throughout the procedure.
- Before you get selected for the hair transplant procedure, your clinic will properly enquire about any COVID-19 symptoms. If you have any history of foreign travel, or travel to the containment zones in the last 1-month period also if you have any account of contact with a COVID positive patient.
- After you go through all investigations, your doctor will ask for your fitness certificate.
- Once you reach the OT with a full stomach, you will do through a screening by taking your body temperature.
- Your doctor will check your oxygen saturation as the saturation drops are positive in corona cases. Your blood pressure is also measured.
- You might have to fill an undertaking that you do not have any COVID – 19 symptoms and you have no travel or contact history.
- You will then change into the sterile OT dress and wear a surgical mask throughout the procedure.
- Your temperature, oxygen saturation, and blood pressure are recorded throughout the procedure.
- Your hair transplant surgeon might ask you to do betadine gargle after every 2 hours to keep your mouth and throat clean.
Most clinics also follow strict staff protocol for hair transplant surgery during COVID-19:
- When the surgeon and whole surgical OT staff is screened for COVID – 19 symptoms, only then they are allowed to work in Hair Transplant operation theatre.
- Even surgeons and surgical OT staff screening are done by taking their body temperature.
- The whole surgical team is in full PPE gear throughout the procedure, which includes surgical gown, N 95 mask with a triple-layer mask, surgical masks with face shield & double gloves.
Clinics might not allow you to bring your friends, acquaintances along as they have limited/eliminated the number of guests to their facility to maintain the COVID-19 protocol.
With all these precautions, clinics want to make sure that you get the best possible care during the entire procedure.
Clinics are thoroughly following the in-depth information shared by medical associations and coping well to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Many clinics are also planning on implementing these protocols in the future as well. They do not want to take any chance with the safety and health of their customers and staff.
Along with these precautions, hair transplant clinics are also trying their best to give you the results you desire from your hair transplant surgery. So, if you are planning to get a hair transplant procedure, remember to follow all the guidelines of the clinics. You can keep yourself and everyone around you safe.